An analytical study of some trace elements in water and plants using an atomic absorption spectrophotometer in Thi-Qar governorate
Keywords:trace elements, water, Apium graveolens, Lepidium sativum, Raphanus sativus, Atomic absorption spectroscopy
AbstractThe present study was conducted to measure concentrations of six trace elements (Cu ,Pb ,Zn ,Cr ,Ni and Cd ) in water and plants (Apium graveolens , Lepidium sativum and Raphanus sativus). The samples were collected during winter 2016 from different places of Thi-Qar province. Levels of trace elements were determined by aflame atomic absorption spectroscopy (FAAS). The means concentrations of Cu ,Pb ,Zn ,Cr ,Ni and Cd in the water were 1.687, 3.052, 1.634, 4.082, 0.341 and 0.879 ppm respectively. In plants, their means concentrations in the A. graveolens plant were 3.288 , 1.930 , 2.850, 3.440 , 0.375 and 0.715 ppm dry weight respectively, in the L. sativum plant were (4.745 , 1.724 , 3.213 , 2.789 , 0.375, 0.750) ppm dry weight respectively, and in the R. sativus plant were 4.677, 1.559, 2.348 , 2 .483, 0.373 and 0.679 ppm dry weight respectively.It was found that most concentrations of trace elements in the water samples were exceeded the allowed limits for irrigation. Moreover, in A. graveolens, L. sativum and R. sativus plants, elements Pb,Cr and Cd exceeded the allowed limits by Food and Agricultur organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO).
- Agah , H.; Leermakers, M.; Fatemi, S. M. R. and Baeyens, W. (2009). Accumulation of trace metals in the muscles and liver tissues of five fish species from the Persian Gulf.Environ. Monit.Assess. 157: 499- 514.
- Uzun , I . and Guzel , F. (2000) . Adsorption of some heavy metal ions from aqueous solution by Activated carbon and comparison of precent adsorption results of activated carbon with those of some other adsorbents . Turk. J. Chem. 24: 291-297.
- Veselov,D.;Kudoyarova,G;Symonyan,M.and Veselov,S.(2003). Effect of Cd on ion up take,Transpiration and cytokinin.contenet in wheat seedlings.J Bulg plant physiol. 353-359 .
- Lovett-Doust, J. ; Schmidt, M. and Lovett- Doust, L. (1994).Biological assessment of aquatic pollution .areview with emphasis on plants as biomonitors Biol, Rev. 69:147-186.
- Anonymous. (1998). Health Guide Line For The Use Of Waste Water in Agricalture and Aquacult-ure. Report of WHO Science Group. WHO. Geneva, Switzerla. Tech. Rep. Sci. 778, 10.
-Codex Alimentarins Commission (FAO/WHO). (2001). Food Additives and Contaminats ,Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Program. ALLNORM 01/12A. 1-289.
–Sadek, A. H and Kamel, K. F.(2008).Monthly Variations in Concentrations of Trace elements of Waters from Al-Garaf, one of the Main Branches of Tigris Rivere. partment of Fisheries and Marine Resources.College of Agriculture, University of Basrah.
-AZita, B. H. and Seid, A. M. (2008). Investigation of heavy metals up take by vegetable crops from metal – contaminated soil. Warld Academy of Sciece, Engineering and Technology. 43(1): 56-58.
-Alkam, F.M.(2002). Concentration of some trace elements in the water and plants of the Diwaniyah River - Al Gharraf - Al Qadisiyah journal - Pure Sciences. 7 (4): 190- 196.
- Salman, J.M. (2006). Environmental study of potential pollution in the Euphrates River between the Indian Lake and the Kufa .Doctorate thesis , Iraq, College of of Science , University of Babylon.
- Bushra, A. G. (2013). The Effect of Sewage water Treatment in Some Physical, Chemical and Bacteriological of Euphrates River Near the City Center of Nasiriyah, Southern Iraq.Master Thesis, College of Science, Dhi Qar University.
- Afaq, T.F. (2012) .Study of the effect of Thermal energy of power plant effluents upon the concentration of some trace elements in water, sediment and two aquatic plants species in Euphrates River near the center of Al -Nassyria city south Iraq. Master Thesis, College of Science, Dhi Qar University.
-Mariam,A.A. (2015). Evaluation Pollution in the soil and some vegetative plants with the trace elements located on the water table corridor resulting from the Baiji refinery. Journal University of Kirkuk - scientific studies. 160: 10-176 .
- Asen, H.A.; Ibrahim,O.S.; Jihad, T.M. (2015). A study of the effect of treated wastewater by sedimentation and filtration methods in the accumulation of trace elements in celery plants. Journal of the University of Kirkuk , scientific studies. 10: 58-71.
- Ghufran, F.J.; Riad , H.A. (2010). Evaluation of Pollution of Heavy Elements in Agricultural Land in Diyala Bridge. Department of Construction and Construction , University of Technology . Iraqi Journal of Market Research and Consumer Protection. 2 (3).
-ROPME (Regional Organization For the Protection of the Marine Environment) (1983). Manual of oceanographic observation and pollutants analysis methods. AL – Safat, Kuwait. ROPME, P.O. Box 26388, 13124.
-Thomas(2007). O. Burgess C. UV-Visible spectrophotometry of water and wastewater. Elsevier B.V. Netherlands.
- Raed,S.A. (2004). Water characteristics in the Shatt al-Arab and the general estuary and their levels of pollution with some heavy elements. Doctorate thesis, College of Agriculture, University of Basra.
- Alia, H. T. (2012). An environmental study of L. Ceratophyllum demersum. and its role in removing cadmium from the water of the river Euphrates in the city of Nazareth. Master thesis , College of Education, Dhi Qar University.
-Ayers, R. S., and D. W. Westcot.( 1985). “Water Quality for Agriculture.” Irrigation and Drainage Paper no. 29, Rev. 1. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization
-Mahalakshmi, M.; Balakrishnan,S.; Indira,K. and Srinivasan, M. (2012). Characteristic levels of heavy metals in canned tuna fish. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences. 4(2): 43-45.
-Schauss,A.G.(1994).Minerals and human health.The relation for optimal and balanced elementtracelevels.Nut.Rev.,52:367-375.
-Ahmed ,I.T. and Abd Almoneim. (2012). Heavy elements sources and damage to the environment. Center for promising research in biological control and agricultural information, Qassim University .
-Duruibe, J.O. ; Ogwuebu, M.O.C. and Egwurugwu, J.N. (2007). Heavy metal pollution and human biotoxic effects. Internat.J .Phys.Sci.2(5):112-118.
-Rahimi, E.; Hajisalehi, M.; Kazemeini, H. R.; Chakeri, A.; Khodabakhsh, A.; Derakhshesh, M.; Mirdamadi, M.; Ebadi, A. G.; Rezvani, S. A, and Kashkahi, M. F. (2010). Analysis and determination of mercury, cadmium and lead in canned tuna fish marketed in Iran. African Journal of Biotechnology. 9 (31): 4938-4941
-Durdana, R. H.; Shahnaz, I. and Shaikh, G. H. (2007). Assessment of the level of trace metal in commonly edible vegtables locally available in themaret of Karachi city .Pak.J.Bot.39(3) : 747-751.
-Anonymous. 2001. Codex Alimentarius Commission (FAO/WHO). Food additives and contaminants-Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme. 2001,ALINORM 01/12A. 1-289.