Analysis of Composite Panels of Profiled Steel Sheet with Ferrocement by Using Finite Element Method
Keywords:Ferrocement, Composite Panel, Finite Element modeling, PSSF
AbstractThis paper concerns with the application of finite element technique to the nonlinear analysis of the behavior of profiled steel sheet ferrocement (PSSF) composite panels. The composite panels were analyzed using nonlinear three dimensional finite element models. The constitutive models of the nonlinear material behavior for ferrocement matrix, PSS, and steel wire mesh were used. ANSYS version 16.1 program code was used to analyze the three dimensional model. Ferrocement was modeled by using the 8-noded isoperimetric brick elements (SOLID65) with three degrees of freedom, while the profiled steel sheet was modeled as SHELL181 element with four-node element with six degrees of freedom at each node: translations in the x, y, and z directions, and rotations about the x, y, and z-axes. A nonlinear spring element, COMBIN14, was used to represent the mechanical connectors, while to simulate the adhesive epoxy layer solid element SOLID185 was used. It was defined by eight nodes having three degrees of freedom at each node: translations in the nodal x, y, and z directions. The wire mesh reinforcement was modeled as a volume ratio distributed within the ferrocement brick elements. The analytical results of load-deflection response have been compared with available experimental works.
- Bouazaouia L., Jurkiewiezb B., Delmasa Y., and Lia A., "Static Behavior of A Full-Scale Steel - Concrete Beam with Epoxy-Bonding Connection", Journal of Engineering Structures, Vol. 30, February 2008, pp. 1981-1990.
- Prakhya K. V. G. and Adidam, S. R.” Finite Element Analysis of Ferrocement Plates ”, J. Ferrocement, No.17, 1978, pp. 313-320.
- Bin-OMAR, A. R. H.H. Abdel- Rahman, G. J. Al-Sulaimani, ” Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of'Flanged' Ferrocement Beams ”, Computers & Structures, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1989, pp. 581-590.
- Boshra Aboul-Anen, Ahmed El-Shafey, and Mostafa El-Shami, ” Experimental and Analytical Model of Ferrocement Slabs ” , International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering,Vol.1,No.6,May2009, pp. 25-29.
- ANSYS, " Basic Analysis Guide", ANSYS Release 16.1, Inc, Copyrite ©2012.
- ANSYS, " ANSYS Modelling and Meshing Guide", ANSYS Release 16.1, Inc, Copyrite ©2012.
- Willam, K. J. and Warnke, E. P., "Constitutive Model for the Triaxial Behavior of Concrete", Proceedings, International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, Vol. 19, ISMES, Bergamo, Italy, 1975, pp.174.
- Mottram, J. T., and Show, C. T., "Using Finite Elements in Mechanical Design". First Edition, McGrew-Hill Company, UK,1996.