Isolating Some fatty Acids- Enriched Oils Used in Biofuels from alga Salinity Tolerant Dunaliella sp


  • Assist. Lect. Alyaa Abdul Hussein Alwan Department of Biology, College of Science, University of Basrah
  • Assist. Prof. Nidaa Jasim Mohammed Al-Mousawi Department of Biology, College of Science, University of Basrah


Dunaliella sp., Biodiesel, Fatty acids, GC/MS Device


This study aimed at isolating and purifying Dunaliella sp., which belongs to chlorophyte division, which reflects a high tolerance to salinity ranging from (0.1-5 M). Also, this study looked for isolating bio-active oils as materials for the alternative or clean energy associated with fossil fuel (biodiesel). Dunaliella sp. grown at Ben Amotz (BA) medium at batch culture under ideal laboratory circumstances. Dunaliella sp. exposed to a diversity of salinity concentrations, light sources and some nutrients were removed, individually or doubled. This study used GC/MS to analyze oils isolated from above algae. Chemical analyses have disclosed that it contains sixteen fatty acids, nine of which belongs to saturated fatty acids, at 56%, while the other seven are unsaturated, at 44%. It was noted that fatty acids of long carbon chains (C18) are associated with oil isolated from algae grown in cultural media supported with (+N) compared with (-N) media. Values, data and statements have showed that Dunaliella sp. (local isolation) is very suitable to produce Biodiesel, and it contains a high level of fatty acids along with its instant growth and ability to adapt to different diversified environments and circumstances.